By Recker McDowell —
We are all seeing the destructive path the COVID-19 pandemic has carved through the economy with record unemployment claims, shutdown businesses, a full stop for tourism as well as scores of layoffs and furloughs.
All the business closures are resulting in significant temporary job cuts across Arizona and the country.
But there are jobs out in the marketplace. Numerous companies are hiring in the Phoenix metro area as well as across the state and country even as other jobs hang in the balance. The state’s Arizona Together website has resources available for adversely impacted workers as well as links to companies and organizations who are hiring during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Here are some of the companies hiring right now for jobs. (Click on the links for their career websites.)
- CVS Health is holding a virtual hiring event tomorrow (April 6th) with a focus on Phoenix area workers. The event runs 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Manufacturing and industrial companies such as Honeywell International, Corning, Pilgrim Aerospace Fasteners are also hiring for their Arizona operations in Glendale and Chandler.
- American Express, Cox Communications, Desert Financial Credit Union, Cigna and UnitedHealth Group have a variety of open positions in Arizona.
- HonorHealth (which is Scottsdale’s largest private employer) is also hiring for administrative, medical, technical and service positions.
- Other hospital and health care firm including Banner Health, Dignity Health, the Mayo Clinic and behavioral health firm Southwest Network are also hiring.
- Grocery stores such as Costco, Fry’s Food Stores, Bashas, Safeway Albertsons as well as Target, Walmart, Walgreens and fast food restaurants also have open positions. They are part of the group of essential businesses still open during the Coronavirus.
- Many of those stores also have logistics positions available in the Phoenix area as does com which has a significant footprint in the Valley.
- FedEx Ground, UPS and other e-commerce and logistics firms are also hiring during the pandemic.
COVID-19 has caused job cuts at hotels and resorts, bars and restaurants as well as small businesses but there are some jobs out there.